Serves 4 People
Cooking 25 min
Preparation 20 mins
You will need
To Pressure Cook
- 1/2 cup toor dal soaked for 30 minutes, also known as split pigeon peas lentil
- 1/4 cup chana dal soaked for 30 minutes, also known as split garbanzo beans
- 2.5 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1.25 teaspoons finely chopped ginger
- 2.5 cups butternut squash cubes from one small squash of around 800 grams
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 green chili chopped
- 3 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 5-6 curry leaves
- 1 medium red onion chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice optional
1-2 cups water
salt to taste
Let’s get cooking!
- Soak the chana and toor dal for 20-30 minutes. Drain water and set aside.
- To a pressure cook add, the soaked dal with turmeric powder, salt, chopped ginger and butternut squash.
- Pressure cook till dal is nicely cooked and squash is completely softened. I cooked on high heat for 4 whistles and then set the heat to low and cook for additional 5-6 minutes. Let the pressure come off on it’s own and then set the dal aside.
- In a pan or work, heat oil on medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add cumin seeds and mustard seeds and let them crackle.
- Once the seds pop, add chopped onion, green chili and curry leaves. Saute for 2 minutes or till onion becomes slightly translucent.
- Add chopped garlic and saute for a minute or two.
- Now add chopped tomatoes and mix. Also add salt.
- Cook the tomatoes for 5 minutes or till they soften up.
- Now transfer the cooked dal to pan , add water and mix everything. Adjust salt at this point. Lower the heat and let the dal simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add cilantro and lemon juice (if using) and serve immediately.